On 1 July, some new measures and changes came into force for issuing the Cuban passport both inside and outside the national territory.
According to state media reports, these measures are part of a rapprochement scenario between the country and its nationals living abroad. According to Ernesto Soberón Guzmán, Director General of Consular Affairs and Cubans Resident Abroad, the decision was made after considering the needs raised by nationals abroad in meetings with officials and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. He made clear that these changes in no way impact passports issued before the date when the new rule was implemented.
The new features of the Cuban passport are aimed at increasing the validity of the travel document in the long term while reducing its cost.
What are the main new features of the Cuban passport from July?
- Extend the validity of passports from six to ten years for those over 16 years of age.
- In the case of minors, the document will be valid for five years, since physical changes at this age are more drastic.)
- Eliminate the two-year extension requirement for all passports issued before or after the measure.
- Lower the cost of passports at consulates. The final price was set at US$160/euro for those over 16 years of age and US$140/euro for minors.
Notably, the passports issued before and after the activation of the measure will co-exist until 2029, once the last six-year passports issued have reached the end of their validity period. The fee for passports issued in Mexican territory remains unchanged.
Should a citizen wish to obtain a 10-year passport with a six-year passport, nothing prevents him/her from doing so. The reasons for doing so may range from the loss or deterioration of the document to the decision to renew it in order to enjoy its benefits in advance.
Other measures related to residents abroad
- The automatic extension of the free-of-charge stay abroad remains in force after 24 months.
- Emigrants who emigrated before January 1, 1971 must present a Cuban passport to enter Cuban territory. The entry permit requirement for these persons is eliminated.
- The length of stay on the island of Cubans residing abroad and their foreign relatives (spouses and children) is equalized.
- The length of stay in Cuba is extended to one year for citizens residing abroad, regardless of their category (e.g., emigrants, residence permit abroad).
Opapeleo is your agency for procedures 100% online or telephone. We are in Washington DC 150 meters away from the Cuban Consulate. We provide services for the Extension and Renewal of Cuban passports , legalisations, powers of attorney of all kinds, authorisation for minors to leave the country, DVT, visas to Cuba, top-ups, applications for Cuban certificates, delivery of official documents and all kinds of procedures related to Cuba.