Home > Temporary Travel Document > What is the Temporary Travel and Transit Document (TTD)?

What is the Temporary Travel and Transit Document (TTD)?

Dec 26 , 2023

The Temporary Travel and Transit Document (STTD) is a document that is requested in case of urgent travel needs for justified and verifiable reasons. The DVT can be applied for by an individual whose passport has expired or been lost for any reason.

Cuban migration authorities approve this permit in humanitarian emergency situations, aiming to facilitate entry to the country for Cuban citizens residing abroad who require it.

What conditions must be met for applying for a temporary travel document?

Reasons for obtaining such a document vary and depend on case-specific conditions. In the event of a sick or recently deceased relative or any unforeseen circumstance necessitating urgent travel to your home country, you can apply for this alternative document to your passport for a brief period.

As a Cuban citizen residing in the country, if you find yourself temporarily outside the nation and your passport has expired or been lost, you are eligible to apply for a DVT. This document will remain valid for thirty days, allowing you to make a one-time journey to Cuba under the conditions associated with its use.

How can you demonstrate the urgency of your journey?

To substantiate the necessity of your journey, you must provide a photograph or a copy of the medical certificate for a seriously ill family member or the recent death certificate of a family member.

The Cuban Consulate abroad will authenticate the citizen’s identity and assess the circumstances surrounding the DVT application. Upon authorization for document delivery, the holder will be notified within one to three days, given the urgent nature of these procedures.

How can I facilitate my return to my country of residence?

The Temporary Travel and Transit Document (TRTD) is inherently temporary. The travel for which it is issued must occur within 30 days of its issuance. Upon arrival in Cuba, acquiring a new passport is necessary for your return to your country of residence or any other destination.

To obtain a new passport, as a resident in Cuba, you can visit any Immigration Office of the Ministry of the Interior. For emigrants residing outside the national territory, they should visit the offices of Consultoría Jurídica Internacional at Calle 22 #108 between 1ra y 3ra, Miramar, La Habana.

About Us

Opapeleo is your agency for procedures 100% online or telephone. We are in Washington DC 150 meters away from the Cuban Consulate. We provide services for the Extension and Renewal of Cuban Passport, Legalisations, Powers of attorney on all kinds, Authorisations for minors to leave the country, DVT, Visas to Cuba, Top-ups, applications for Cuban certificates, delivery of official documents and all kinds of procedures related to Cuba.


Most read

Save on photos and mail shipments. With Opapeleo, process your request remotely in minutes.

Email Opapeleo tramitación del pasaporte

Receive tips and news related to your Cuban passport.

You might also be interested…

Choose the service

Read each option carefully and select the one that interests you the most.

New Passport

If you never had it before, it’s gray, lost, or aired before 2010.

More info

Passport Renewal

Obtain a new passport presenting a blue or red passport that is about to expire or has already expired.

More info

Certificates issued in Cuba

Any Cuban can request any document or certificate issued in Cuba from any location worldwide

More info


Topup your phone quick and easy. Repeat your topups with a single click.

More info

HE-11 Entry Permit

If you left Cuba before January 1, 1971 you can apply for a HE-11 and enter Cuba with your American passport.

More info


Visa or Tourist Card for foreigners to travel to Cuba.

More info

Birth Certificate


More info

Legal Advice on all aspects of Cuban law

Receive personalised legal advice

More info


Legalization of different documents such as birth certificates, death certificates, etc.

More info

Temporary Travel Document

The temporary travel document is for traveling with a letter in lieu of a passport

More info


What our clients think about the services:
Opapaleo offers a variety of products and services to the Cuban and American communities
Share This
Thank you! Your subscription has been confirmed. You'll hear from us soon.