Home > News > Cubans Residents in Cuba with Expired Passports Will Be Allowed to Travel With a DVT (Temporary Travel Document) from November 2020

Cubans Residents in Cuba with Expired Passports Will Be Allowed to Travel With a DVT (Temporary Travel Document) from November 2020

Oct 13 , 2020


What is the process for obtaining Opapeleo’s Temporary Travel and Transit Document (DVT) for travel to Cuba? Learn how to navigate this procedure, especially when facing circumstances like having an ill relative or dealing with the unfortunate event of a relative’s death, coupled with an expired passport.



  • Consular form
  • 2 Passport photos
  • Photo of your Cuban passport
  • Photo of your ID Card (optional)

Once the DVT is granted, a document to travel with an expired passport, the citizen has 30 DAYS TO ENTER CUBA. This means this travel document can only be used within 30 days from the date of issue. Please carefully arrange your request in advance to be ready to travel as soon as you receive it. For those who have overstayed their 24 months, please be advised that no payment or request for extension of stay abroad applies to any Cuban citizen whose 24 months have expired after 19 March of this year. Furthermore, all must enter Cuba before 12 October 2021 to preserve their rights. It is unclear how long this process will take, as we only started offering it yesterday, October 12th, but we do know that the process is very quick, we expect 7-10 days after receiving your photos and signed application form. If you are interested in processing your DVT, Opapeleo can work for you. However, the procedure must be ONLY completed by phone, since it is not yet available for online processing. Please call us at 202-800-4141 from 8 AM to 8 PM from Monday to Saturday, Sunday from 8 AM to 2 PM. For further information on Opapeleo procedures please visit OPAPELEO TRÁMITES

Most read

Save on photos and mail shipments. With Opapeleo, process your request remotely in minutes.

Email Opapeleo tramitación del pasaporte

Receive tips and news related to your Cuban passport.

You might also be interested…

Choose the service

Read each option carefully and select the one that interests you the most.

New Passport

If you never had it before, it’s gray, lost, or aired before 2010.

More info

Passport Renewal

Obtain a new passport presenting a blue or red passport that is about to expire or has already expired.

More info

Certificates issued in Cuba

Any Cuban can request any document or certificate issued in Cuba from any location worldwide

More info


Topup your phone quick and easy. Repeat your topups with a single click.

More info

HE-11 Entry Permit

If you left Cuba before January 1, 1971 you can apply for a HE-11 and enter Cuba with your American passport.

More info


Visa or Tourist Card for foreigners to travel to Cuba.

More info

Birth Certificate


More info

Legal Advice on all aspects of Cuban law

Receive personalised legal advice

More info


Legalization of different documents such as birth certificates, death certificates, etc.

More info

Temporary Travel Document

The temporary travel document is for traveling with a letter in lieu of a passport

More info


What our clients think about the services:
Opapaleo offers a variety of products and services to the Cuban and American communities
Share This
Thank you! Your subscription has been confirmed. You'll hear from us soon.