Home > News > Sale of pre-paid cards in Cuba

Sale of pre-paid cards in Cuba

Jan 22 , 2024

Prepaid cards are an alternative for people not living in Cuba but wishing to access certain services in the country in freely convertible currency (MLC). In recent years, this benefit has been modified with the aim of broadening its scope and promoting this means of obtaining foreign currency.

The CADECA network of offices, hotels, airports and ports sells prepaid cards in amounts of 1000, 500, 200, 100 and 50. The ceiling is 1000 MLC. If you do not have enough money in one of these currencies, you will be able to supplement the amount you need with another currency from the list.

The currencies in which MLC is currently available are US Dollar, Canadian Dollar, British Pound, Swiss Franc, Japanese Yen, Mexican Peso and Euro.

Services accessible with a prepaid card

The prepaid cards can be used not only to buy products in the MLC, but also to access services such as car rental, hotel reservations, guided tours of tourist sites, purchase of airline tickets and other options within Cuban territory.

How can I get a pre-paid card?

To purchase this card, travellers resident or not in Cuba must present their passport as proof of identity.

Each user can buy as many cards as they need. The limit is set by buying 3 cards of the same denomination (e.g. 3 x 50, 3 x 1000).

After purchasing, you will receive confirmation that the transaction has been completed and some details regarding the transaction. This receipt will be of assistance to you in the event of any complaints or difficulties with the use of your card.

Using the prepaid card

Prepaid cards are not personalised. Therefore, the PIN is the only way to access payment with your card. The customer generates their own PIN. It is important that they remember this number as no one else will have this information.

If the card is lost, forgotten or demagnetised, you need to go to a CADECA. For PIN changes, this company charges a fee of USD 3 of the card balance.

If you need to withdraw cash, you can go to an ATM or a CADECA branch to make the withdrawal. This process is consistent with the currency exchange of the day. You can use ATMs or any Banco de Crédito y Comercio branch to check your balance.

If, at the end of your stay, you have a balance on your card, you can take it with you, leave it with someone else who can use the balance while the card is still active (5 years from date of purchase) or you can apply for a refund from MLC.

About Us

Opapeleo is your agency for procedures 100% online or telephone. We are in Washington DC 150 meters away from the Cuban Consulate. We provide services for the Extension and Renewal of Cuban Passport, Legalisations, Powers of attorney on all kinds, Authorisations for minors to leave the country, DVT, Visas to Cuba, Top-ups, applications for Cuban certificates, delivery of official documents and all kinds of procedures related to Cuba.

Most read

Save on photos and mail shipments. With Opapeleo, process your request remotely in minutes.

Email Opapeleo tramitación del pasaporte

Receive tips and news related to your Cuban passport.

You might also be interested…

Choose the service

Read each option carefully and select the one that interests you the most.

New Passport

If you never had it before, it’s gray, lost, or aired before 2010.

More info

Passport Renewal

Obtain a new passport presenting a blue or red passport that is about to expire or has already expired.

More info

Certificates issued in Cuba

Any Cuban can request any document or certificate issued in Cuba from any location worldwide

More info


Topup your phone quick and easy. Repeat your topups with a single click.

More info

HE-11 Entry Permit

If you left Cuba before January 1, 1971 you can apply for a HE-11 and enter Cuba with your American passport.

More info


Visa or Tourist Card for foreigners to travel to Cuba.

More info

Birth Certificate


More info

Legal Advice on all aspects of Cuban law

Receive personalised legal advice

More info


Legalization of different documents such as birth certificates, death certificates, etc.

More info

Temporary Travel Document

The temporary travel document is for traveling with a letter in lieu of a passport

More info


What our clients think about the services:
Opapaleo offers a variety of products and services to the Cuban and American communities
Share This
Thank you! Your subscription has been confirmed. You'll hear from us soon.