The Cuban passport extension procedure must be performed every two years once the passport has been issued. This document is valid for 6 years, but in all cases needs to be extended twice during this period ( in the second and fourth year of use) to be used as a travel document.
Those who are late for their first extension are required to apply for a double extension, i.e., to pay the amount of both extensions to access the second extension.
This procedure may be performed by any Cuban citizen both inside and outside the country, whenever certain requirements are met:
- Having a passport close to the expiration date (never less than 6 months before the expiration date)
- Having the relevant funds for two extensions and their handling fees (if by post mail)
This procedure is essential for Cubans residing in the United States (U.S.) who have not renewed their passport after the second year of validity and have not applied for the extension for more than four years.
Opapeleo highly recommends you apply for the double extension when:
- Your passport is now more than four years old and you have not applied for an extension, you may find renewal more cost-effective rather than paying for a double extension of a passport which is about to expire. We leave this up to you.
- If you are still interested in applying for a double passport extension, please be informed that Opapeleo is located 150 meters away from the Cuban Consulate in Washington DC offering a 100% online double passport extension service. To access click on the following link: https://tramites.opapeleo.com/prorroga-pasaporte-cubano
Steps to follow after logging in to the Opapeleo website when applying for the double extension:
- Click on Double Passport Extension
- Fill out the consular form required by the Cuban authorities.
- Confirm the provided information
- Proceed to the corresponding payment
You will immediately receive an email containing the detailed instruction sheet on the steps to be followed, together with the shipping label (already paid for). You must go to the USPS or FedEx post office with the printed label and ship your passport to us, with the label received clearly displayed on the envelope.
Opapeleo will provide you with SMS and email alerts for each step of the process, including:
- Package reception
- Delivery at the consulate
- Consulate confirmation when your passport is ready
- Tracking number for the return
And last but not least:
- We will let you know once your passport is delivered to your home.
If you prefer the telephone Opapeleo is the only agency operating seven days a week from 8 am to 8 pm; please call 202-800-4141 to complete the procedure.
Opapeleo is your agency for paperwork procedures 100% online or by phone. We are in Washington DC 150 meters away from the Cuban Consulate. We provide services of Extension and Cuban passport renewal, Legalisations, Powers of attorney of all kinds, Authorisation for minors to leave the country, DVT, Cuban visas, top-ups, requests for Cuban certificates, delivery of official documents and all kinds of procedures related to Cuba.