The express or urgent extension of the Cuban passport is a service that became available after the closure of the Consulate in 2020. In view of the fact that it was impossible to get an extension on the same day, special arrangements were put in place for those citizens who urgently needed to update their passport.
How Can I Apply for an Express Cuban Passport?
This service can only be requested when a number of so-called urgent requirements are met, but this is only subject to a series of external conditions. Among the most common urgent cases are:
- A medical certificate from a family member hospitalised in Cuba.
- Holding the death certificate of a relative in Cuba.
There are a number of other situations classified as urgent which are handled according to the Consulate’s operational system. These include, among others:
- A ticket for the next fortnight.
- The loss of a ticket in the previous three days.
To examine this kind of situation please call Opapeleo, and you will get an answer.
- Another option, also depending on the operating system of the consulate, involves an upcoming immigration appointment for oneself or a family member who is having a consular interview abroad and needs an extension; these appointments must also be within the next fifteen days.
Opapeleo provides the Express Extension service by means of a 100% online system through which you will be able to complete the procedure by following the steps below:
- Please check our website under Opapeleo Procedures.
- In this section, please refer to the section: Express extension of Cuban passport.
- Follow all steps and instructions
If you prefer to access the service by telephone:
- Opapeleo is the only agency operating seven days a week from 8am to 8pm (Sundays until 2pm);
- You can apply by calling 202-800-4141.
Please note that:
To prove the emergency by medical or death certificate you do not need to present the original, just a photo of the original is enough to prove the document’s authenticity. As for the ticket, only a photo of the ticket is required.
Proof of your emergency must be sent by text message to be analysed by a specialist to verify everything is in order, after which the express extension will be granted.
The delay time for an express extension is one to three working days after receipt of the passport at the Opapeleo offices.
Opapeleo is your agency for procedures 100% online or telephone. We are in Washington DC 150 meters away from the Cuban Consulate. We provide services for the Extension and Renewal of Cuban passport, Legalisations, Powers of attorney on all kinds, Authorisations for minors to leave the country, DVT, Visas to Cuba, Top-ups, applications for Cuban certificates, delivery of official documents and all kinds of procedures related to Cuba.