Home > Legalizations > Legalization of Cuban Documents Abroad

Legalization of Cuban Documents Abroad

Feb 26 , 2024

Thelegalization of documents is one of the most requested services by Cubans living outside the island, the need to validate their certificates in a new country is satisfied thanks to the service of legalization of documents offered by Cuban embassies or consulates abroad.

The operation of these legal means and their access to foreign territory is regulated by the Cuban Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MINREX).

The legalization of documents can be a more or less complex process, depending on a number of different conditions:

  1. If you have the document in your possession, or if you need to apply for the document
  2. If you have enough data to retrieve the document quickly, or if you need to perform a search

These terms and conditions will determine the cost of the service requested, the turnaround time, and the information required in your request.

How do these legalization services work?

The first step is always to contact a diplomatic representation of Cuba in the country where you are, in many cases you will have to make an appointment.


In the case of the Cuban Consulate in Washington DC, services are not provided in person, but through agencies such as Opapeleo, which offer a personalized service with the least amount of bureaucracy possible.

If you do not have your document, you can request a search in the notarial records of Cuba. If you have dates, full names of beneficiaries, or the volume and folio of the document, your search may be faster than if you have little information about the document.

If you have the document in your possession, it is much easier, since the diplomatic agency or representation will only have to send the document to Cuba for legalization.

For most of these procedures, you will need to present your identity card or passport, the document to be legalized or information about it, and pay the fees established by the entity for this service, in many cases this cost will cover or will be added to the payment of the stamps required for the legalization of your document.

Please note:

It is possible that if the document needs to be translated into the language of the country where it will be used, it is also possible that the Cuban Embassy or Consulate will carry out another legalization process of the document, which will guarantee its validity for its use in the foreign territory where it is located.

Processing time

The speed at which these services are provided in the country will depend on the efficiency of the process from abroad, as the recent wave of migration has overwhelmed document legalization services.

For the benefit of expatriates or people who need this type of service, consulates and embassies have the support of agencies distributed in many cities that allow a less bureaucratic access to these services.

About Us

Opapeleo is your agency for procedures 100% online or telephone. We are in Washington DC 150 meters away from the Cuban Consulate. We provide services for the Extension and Renewal of Cuban Passport, Legalisations, Powers of attorney on all kinds, Authorisations for minors to leave the country, DVT, Visas to Cuba, Top-ups, applications for Cuban certificates, delivery of official documents and all kinds of procedures related to Cuba.

Most read

Save on photos and mail shipments. With Opapeleo, process your request remotely in minutes.

Email Opapeleo tramitación del pasaporte

Receive tips and news related to your Cuban passport.

You might also be interested…

Choose the service

Read each option carefully and select the one that interests you the most.

New Passport

If you never had it before, it’s gray, lost, or aired before 2010.

More info

Passport Renewal

Obtain a new passport presenting a blue or red passport that is about to expire or has already expired.

More info

Certificates issued in Cuba

Any Cuban can request any document or certificate issued in Cuba from any location worldwide

More info


Topup your phone quick and easy. Repeat your topups with a single click.

More info

HE-11 Entry Permit

If you left Cuba before January 1, 1971 you can apply for a HE-11 and enter Cuba with your American passport.

More info


Visa or Tourist Card for foreigners to travel to Cuba.

More info

Birth Certificate


More info

Legal Advice on all aspects of Cuban law

Receive personalised legal advice

More info


Legalization of different documents such as birth certificates, death certificates, etc.

More info

Temporary Travel Document

The temporary travel document is for traveling with a letter in lieu of a passport

More info


What our clients think about the services:
Opapaleo offers a variety of products and services to the Cuban and American communities
Share This
Thank you! Your subscription has been confirmed. You'll hear from us soon.