In each country, people are classified according to their residency status within the corresponding territory. The list includes individuals from native-born nationals to those holding transit visas for whom passage through the country is a simple logistical formality. For migrants, the ultimate goal is to attain citizenship, yet there exists a preceding and crucial tier in terms of benefits and opportunities, which is also notably simpler and quicker to acquire.
In countries like the United States, specific requirements must be met to secure the status known as Permanent Residence or Green Card. The eligibility criteria for applying for this status depend on individual circumstances, but, in general, it is accessible to those who fit one of the descriptions below
The Green Card application descriptions are:
- As an immediate relative of a citizen, individuals such as spouses, children under the age of 21, and parents may be eligible to apply for a green card through the family petition process.
- As immediate relatives of green card holders, spouses and unmarried children have the opportunity to apply for permanent residence through a family petition process.
- Employment in the United States: Individuals with exceptional skills, advanced degrees, or professional experience in highly specialized fields may be eligible to secure a green card through a job offer sponsored by a U.S. employer.
- Asylum seekers or individuals with refugee status: Those who have been granted asylum or refugee status in the United States may apply for a green card upon fulfilling specific requirements For Cubans, it will only be necessary to have a period of residence in the country of 1 year and a day. After this period, they can apply for permanent residency under the Cuban Adjustment Act.
- Winning Diversity Visa Lottery: Under the Diversity Visa Program, roughly 50,000 permanent resident visas are awarded annually to citizens from countries with low rates of immigration to the United States
In special cases, individuals from other countries may be granted permanent residence for economic reasons, such as making a significant investment in a business in the US, or for political considerations.
Procedures for obtaining a Green Card vary in each case
ou will initiate the process by submitting your application, followed by its processing. If deemed necessary by the authorities, specifically the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), a comprehensive interview and assessment will be conducted.
The Green Card process may vary based on the application category, specific requirements, processing times, and other legal and administrative considerations.
If you are in the process of applying for permanent residence, we highly recommend you seeking specialized legal advice. Carefully explore the options and requirements available to you
Opapeleo is your agency for procedures 100% online or telephone. We are in Washington DC 150 meters away from the Cuban Consulate. We provide services for the Extension and Renewal of Cuban Passport, Legalisations, Powers of attorney on all kinds, Authorisations for minors to leave the country, DVT, Visas to Cuba, Top-ups, applications for Cuban certificates, delivery of official documents and all kinds of procedures related to Cuba.