The Cuban passport is a key travel document for Cuban citizens willing to explore the world beyond their borders. Some of its main features include a unique design featuring the colours of the Cuban flag on the cover, the embossed coat of arms and the holder’s personal details such as name, date of birth and gender. This post will focus on which option is better: renewing your passport or issuing it from scratch?
When renewing a Cuban passport?
Renewal of the Cuban passport is required when the passport is about to expire. On 1 July, the Cuban Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MINREX) implemented a series of changes in different fields of the country’s foreign affairs. The passport experienced several changes, the most notorious of which was to set the validity of the passport for adults at 10 years, while for minors it is 5 years.
In addition, the requirement to extend this document every 2 years has been lifted saving money and procedures for the users of this essential travel document for all Cuban citizens.
If you do not yet have a new passport you have two options:
- Wait until your current passport expires (6 years, no need for extensions)
- Get a new passport, even if your passport is not about to expire.
It is highly recommended to start the renewal process in time to avoid any setbacks before the expiry of the passport.
Issuing a Cuban passport from scratch
On the other hand, issuing a Cuban passport from scratch is required in cases like getting a first passport because of coming of legal age, replacing a lost or expired passport, or in cases where a new passport is required due to significant changes in personal documentation.
Fees for issuing a passport from scratch
Regarding the costs of the Cuban passport please note that they are subject to variations. These costs include administrative paperwork, issuing the passport and any additional paperwork required.
- Within the national territory:for Cubans living in the country and abroad, the cost for issuing or renewing a passport is 2500 CUP in stamps. These can currently be delivered physically or paid for using the Transfermobile app.
- Outside national territory: using Opapeleo Services the regular price for adults is $260. Reduced price $220 for minors under 16 years old. Includes $20 non-personal handling fee charged by the Consulate.
Where can I renew or apply for my passport?
- In Cuba:in the offices of theMinistry of Home Affairs.
- Outside Cuba: in Cuban diplomatic or consular representations. In the United States,Cuban consulate has a system of agencies that cover these types of procedures for Cubans in that country. Opapeleo provides a secure and completely online Cuban passport application service.
It is important to note that the Cuban passport allows citizens to access consular services and diplomatic protection in case they need assistance while abroad.
Opapeleo is your agency for procedures 100% online or telephone. We are in Washington DC 150 meters away from the Cuban Consulate. We provide services for the Extension and Renewal of Cuban passport, Legalisations, Powers of attorney on all kinds, Authorisations for minors to leave the country, DVT, Visas to Cuba, Top-ups, applications for Cuban certificates, delivery of official documents and all kinds of procedures related to Cuba.