Home > Cuban Consulate Legal Authorizations > What is a Power of Attorney for Minors or Consent for Exit of Minors from Cuba?

What is a Power of Attorney for Minors or Consent for Exit of Minors from Cuba?

Apr 15 , 2021

Today Opapeleo provides you with the information required for a child under 18 years of age to update, obtain a Cuban passport in Cuba and travel abroad in case either one or both of the child’s parents are not in Cuba.

To update or obtain a Cuban passport to travel abroad, the Migratory Law in force since 2013 in Cuba provides that persons under 18 years of age may travel only if officially authorized by BOTH parents or legal guardians. If either (or both) parents are not in Cuba, a Power of Attorney or Consent for the Minor’s Departure is required, which may be obtained in two different ways:

  • In person: Notarial deed before a Cuban consul. For the United States, at the Cuban Consulate in Washington DC. Due to the pandemic, the Cuban consulate in Washington DC is currently closed and this procedure cannot be made in person.
  • With an agency: By legalizing a notarized deed for use in Cuba before a notary in the United States which contains the clause entitling the minor to travel. This clause hereby authorizes the minor to obtain a passport and to travel abroad, for all legal purposes. To do this you can go to any agency, such as Opapeleo, which is under contract with the Cuban embassy to provide consular services to Cubans all over the United States. This procedure can be completed with Opapeleo 100% online here or calling to 202-800-4141 from 8AM to 8PM 7 days a week (Sundays until 2PM).

Below is a short explanation of the process, which has 3 stages:

  1. Opapeleo provides you with the text of the Power of Attorney you need. Please sign it before a notary public where you reside and submit it to us using a prepaid FedEx label provided by Opapeleo. In some States such as TN, NJ, NY and KY this document must also be notarized at the county courthouse before submitting it to Opapeleo.
  2. Opapeleo receives, reviews in detail and then implements the Stage 1 of Authentication: Legalization in the State where the notary is located.
  3. Once received from the State, Opapeleo implements the Stage 2: Legalization at the U.S. Federal Authentication Office in Washington DC.
  4. Once received from the federal government, we implement the Stage 3: Legalization before the Consul of Cuba making your document ready for use in Cuba.
  5. Opapeleo returns the legalized document to you.

One interesting detail is that this authorization remains in effect until it is revoked. by the person who granted it, who is obliged to notify the other parent or legal representative and submit an authorized copy of the revocation instrument to the office of the Immigration and Alien Affairs Office of the territory where the authorization was presented, if the person lives in the United States, that is, to the Cuban Consulate in Washington DC.

For further details and pricing click here, or call us to 202-800-4141 8AM to 8PM Eastern Time 7 days a week (Sundays until 2PM).

Most read

Save on photos and mail shipments. With Opapeleo, process your request remotely in minutes.

Email Opapeleo tramitación del pasaporte

Receive tips and news related to your Cuban passport.

You might also be interested…

Choose the service

Read each option carefully and select the one that interests you the most.

New Passport

If you never had it before, it’s gray, lost, or aired before 2010.

More info

Passport Renewal

Obtain a new passport presenting a blue or red passport that is about to expire or has already expired.

More info

Certificates issued in Cuba

Any Cuban can request any document or certificate issued in Cuba from any location worldwide

More info


Topup your phone quick and easy. Repeat your topups with a single click.

More info

HE-11 Entry Permit

If you left Cuba before January 1, 1971 you can apply for a HE-11 and enter Cuba with your American passport.

More info


Visa or Tourist Card for foreigners to travel to Cuba.

More info

Birth Certificate


More info

Legal Advice on all aspects of Cuban law

Receive personalised legal advice

More info


Legalization of different documents such as birth certificates, death certificates, etc.

More info

Temporary Travel Document

The temporary travel document is for traveling with a letter in lieu of a passport

More info


What our clients think about the services:
Opapaleo offers a variety of products and services to the Cuban and American communities
Share This
Thank you! Your subscription has been confirmed. You'll hear from us soon.