Home > News > Applying for a US passport

Applying for a US passport

Jan 30 , 2024

A US Passport is a document used to travel and identify you as a US citizen anywhere in the world. There are a number of requirements, the most important of which is US citizenship, to apply for a US passport.

In addition to the basics, the specifics of your case, the age of the applicant, the type of passport you need, or a legal condition that affects your citizenship status may affect your ability to obtain a passport.

We recommend checking the US Department of State web site or contacting an agency such as Opapeleo for more information on your specific needs and the current application process.

General eligibility requirements

As a US passport is a document reserved for US citizens, being a US citizen is the primary requirement for applying for a US passport.


Passport application form:

The first passport application form (DS-11) must be filled in.

Proof of citizenship:

Proof of nationality (birth certificate, naturalisation certificate or certificate of nationality) must be provided.

Personal identification

You will need to show a valid form of personal identification (photo ID).

Application process

In-person presentation:

Passport applications generally have to be made in person at a passport agency, a passport application centre or an authorised post office.

Payment of fees:

The fees vary according to the type of passport you are applying for and the age of the applicant.


A recent photograph meeting US Department of State specifications is required.

Tips to speed up the process

If you are attending an in-person passport application, you can bring the DS-11 passport application form with you. Fill in all the fields (either online or by hand after printing). Don’t sign until you are asked to do so by the agent who will be meeting you in person.

Please note that this type of form is only available in the English language and must be completed in the English language.

Underage children

Additional requirements, such as the presence of both parents or a legal guardian at the time of application, must be met for the issuance of a US passport to a minor under the age of 16.

Processing times

Processing times may vary depending on the agency and the time of application.

It is important to check the processing times and to plan your application well in advance.

Passport renewal:

To renew your passport in the event of loss, damage or expiry, you will need to repeat part of the previous process, adding the DS-82 form and the rest of the documents recommended by the body through which you are carrying out the procedure.

About Us

Opapeleo is your agency for procedures 100% online or telephone. We are in Washington DC 150 meters away from the Cuban Consulate. We provide services for the Extension and Renewal of Cuban Passport, Legalisations, Powers of attorney on all kinds, Authorisations for minors to leave the country, DVT, Visas to Cuba, Top-ups, applications for Cuban certificates, delivery of official documents and all kinds of procedures related to Cuba.

Most read

Save on photos and mail shipments. With Opapeleo, process your request remotely in minutes.

Email Opapeleo tramitación del pasaporte

Receive tips and news related to your Cuban passport.

You might also be interested…

Choose the service

Read each option carefully and select the one that interests you the most.

New Passport

If you never had it before, it’s gray, lost, or aired before 2010.

More info

Passport Renewal

Obtain a new passport presenting a blue or red passport that is about to expire or has already expired.

More info

Certificates issued in Cuba

Any Cuban can request any document or certificate issued in Cuba from any location worldwide

More info


Topup your phone quick and easy. Repeat your topups with a single click.

More info

HE-11 Entry Permit

If you left Cuba before January 1, 1971 you can apply for a HE-11 and enter Cuba with your American passport.

More info


Visa or Tourist Card for foreigners to travel to Cuba.

More info

Birth Certificate


More info

Legal Advice on all aspects of Cuban law

Receive personalised legal advice

More info


Legalization of different documents such as birth certificates, death certificates, etc.

More info

Temporary Travel Document

The temporary travel document is for traveling with a letter in lieu of a passport

More info


What our clients think about the services:
Opapaleo offers a variety of products and services to the Cuban and American communities
Share This
Thank you! Your subscription has been confirmed. You'll hear from us soon.