Today Opapeleo provides you with the information that someone coming from the United States needs to get married in Cuba.
For this purpose, we must split these persons into 2 large groups: Foreigners getting married in Cuba and Cubans living abroad who are getting married in Cuba.
Foreigners need 2 legalized documents for use in Cuba
- Legalized foreign birth certificate.
- Divorce Settlement or, alternatively, a document stating that he/she has never been married. This document must be legalized for use in Cuba.
Cubans who live abroad do not need to legalize their birth certificate because it is a Cuban document. In this case only 1 document must be legalized.
- Divorce settlement from the court of divorce or a document stating that you have never been married which is signed before a notary public.
Here is a quick summary of the legalization process for 1 document, as the process is the same for any other document. This process has 3 stages:
- First, a notarized translation is provided by a professional translator.
- Stage 1: Legalization or authentication in the issuing state of the original document and its translation (2 documents).
- Stage 2: Once received from the state, we proceed to Legalization at the U.S. Federal Authentication Office in Washington DC.
- Stage 3: Once received from the federal government, we proceed to the Legalization before the Consul of Cuba thus the document is ready for use in Cuba.
Please note that 2 documents are being legalized in each stage. The original and translation. The sole exception is Puerto Rico, where the original document usually contains two languages.
Also, in states such as New Jersey, New York, Tennessee and Kentucky, the notarized translation must be notarized at the courthouse in the county where the notary signs before being submitted to the state.
Opapeleo can assist you from start to finish during the entire procedure. All you have to do is submit the original document to us using a prepaid label provided by Opapeleo and Opapeleo will take care of everything.