Home > Legalizations > Documents needed to get married in Cuba while living in USA

Documents needed to get married in Cuba while living in USA

Apr 21 , 2021

Today Opapeleo provides you with the information that someone coming from the United States needs to get married in Cuba.

For this purpose, we must split these persons into 2 large groups: Foreigners getting married in Cuba and Cubans living abroad who are getting married in Cuba.

Foreigners need 2 legalized documents for use in Cuba

  • Legalized foreign birth certificate.
  • Divorce Settlement or, alternatively, a document stating that he/she has never been married. This document must be legalized for use in Cuba.


Cubans who live abroad do not need to legalize their birth certificate because it is a Cuban document. In this case only 1 document must be legalized.

  • Divorce settlement from the court of divorce or a document stating that you have never been married which is signed before a notary public.


Here is a quick summary of the legalization process for 1 document, as the process is the same for any other document. This process has 3 stages:

  1. First, a notarized translation is provided by a professional translator.
  2. Stage 1: Legalization or authentication in the issuing state of the original document and its translation (2 documents).
  3. Stage 2: Once received from the state, we proceed to Legalization at the U.S. Federal Authentication Office in Washington DC.
  4. Stage 3: Once received from the federal government, we proceed to the Legalization before the Consul of Cuba thus the document is ready for use in Cuba.

Please note that 2 documents are being legalized in each stage. The original and translation. The sole exception is Puerto Rico, where the original document usually contains two languages.
Also, in states such as New Jersey, New York, Tennessee and Kentucky, the notarized translation must be notarized at the courthouse in the county where the notary signs before being submitted to the state.

Opapeleo can assist you from start to finish during the entire procedure. All you have to do is submit the original document to us using a prepaid label provided by Opapeleo and Opapeleo will take care of everything.

For further details and pricing click here, or call us to 202-800-4141 8AM to 8PM Eastern Time 7 days a week (Sundays until 2PM).

Most read

Save on photos and mail shipments. With Opapeleo, process your request remotely in minutes.

Email Opapeleo tramitación del pasaporte

Receive tips and news related to your Cuban passport.

You might also be interested…

Choose the service

Read each option carefully and select the one that interests you the most.

New Passport

If you never had it before, it’s gray, lost, or aired before 2010.

More info

Passport Renewal

Obtain a new passport presenting a blue or red passport that is about to expire or has already expired.

More info

Certificates issued in Cuba

Any Cuban can request any document or certificate issued in Cuba from any location worldwide

More info


Topup your phone quick and easy. Repeat your topups with a single click.

More info

HE-11 Entry Permit

If you left Cuba before January 1, 1971 you can apply for a HE-11 and enter Cuba with your American passport.

More info


Visa or Tourist Card for foreigners to travel to Cuba.

More info

Birth Certificate


More info

Legal Advice on all aspects of Cuban law

Receive personalised legal advice

More info


Legalization of different documents such as birth certificates, death certificates, etc.

More info

Temporary Travel Document

The temporary travel document is for traveling with a letter in lieu of a passport

More info


What our clients think about the services:
Opapaleo offers a variety of products and services to the Cuban and American communities
Share This
Thank you! Your subscription has been confirmed. You'll hear from us soon.