Non-Cuban-born persons may apply for it, provided that one of their parents is Cuban.
The application process for Cuban citizenship has 2 stages:
Stage 1: Register date of birth and obtain Cuban birth certificate.
- Legalize the birth certificate abroad at the Cuban consulate.
- Register the birth (i.e., make the transcription) in the registry of facts of Cubans abroad of the Ministry of Justice (Special Registry of MINJUS).
- To obtain the original Cuban birth certificate from the Special Registry of MINJUS in Cuba, which is required to proceed with stage 2.
- Opapeleo can assist you with all the steps of stage 1, for details regarding the legalization and transcription please click here (legalizations on the web) and
- Opapeleo can also assist you to obtain and get the Original Cuban certificate from Cuba.
Delays stage 1: Depends on each state, but this procedure takes approximately 2 months.
Stage 2: Obtain the Cuban Citizenship Resolution for which we need:
- Application form completed by Opapeleo and signed by you.
- Original Cuban birth certificate issued by the Special Registry of the Ministry of Justice (see stage 1).
- Photocopy of the foreign passport, always valid and in force.
- Photocopy of parents’ passports, always valid and in force. The Cuban parent must present a photocopy of his/her Cuban passport.
- If one of the parents has died, a photocopy of the death certificate must be submitted, given that it is not possible to submit a photocopy of the passport.
- ORIGINAL birth certificate of Cuban mother or father and photocopy of the birth certificate of the non-Cuban parent.
- For children under 18 years of age, if one of the parents is not available, please provide a written authorization from the latter authenticated by the Federal Department of State (see powers of attorney for minors by clicking here).
- Opapeleo can assist you with each of these stages including the birth certificates of your Cuban parents.
Delays stage 2: According to the consulate, citizenship resolutions are expected to take about 90 days, although some of them have taken up to 5 months in practice.
Once you have your Cuban citizenship resolution you can proceed to apply for your Cuban passport which you can do here (click on renewal) also with Opapeleo.
Because of the complexity and number of processes involved in this procedure, we recommend that you call us for advice. Opapeleo can assist in the entire process, as it is the only agency covering the whole process by phone seven days a week from 8am to 8pm US Eastern Time. Please call today to 202-800-4141 and we will be happy to start your process or answer your questions.
Opapeleo is located 150 meters from the Cuban Consulate in Washington DC and is available to assist you, simplifying all your procedures.