Home > Cuban Consulate Legal Authorizations > What is a power of attorney for minors?

What is a power of attorney for minors?

Oct 4 , 2023

When a minor needs to travel outside Cuban territory, both parents must approve the issuance of his/her passport and his/her departure from the country. The two permits are now merged into one, which is the only legal way for minors to travel outside the national territory. This permit is the power of attorney for minors.

The new Family Code opens up the possibility that if one of the parents has full responsibility for the child, he or she can decide on the removal of the child, provided that he or she is old enough and mature enough to participate in such a decision.

What happens when one of the parents lives or is currently outside Cuba?

In this case the permit becomes a power of attorney that must be sent to Cuba for use by the Cuban authorities. This document can be requested in two ways from abroad:


Notarial deed before a Cuban consul, this applies to all countries where there is a Cuban diplomatic mission. This procedure cannot be performed in person at the Cuban consulate in Washington DC, as it is closed.


Legalisation for use in Cuba: a notarised deed before a notary in the United States providing the clause allowing the minor to travel.

In order to do so, please contact an agency licensed by the Cuban embassy to provide consular services to Cubans residing in the United States.

Opapeleo provides this service completely online using simple steps to make your application easier and quicker.

What is required to apply for a power of attorney for a minor?

First of all, a valid and current Cuban passport must be submitted to certify your identity, i.e. to verify your parental relationship with the minor for whom the power of attorney is requested.

Secondly, you will need to submit:

  • Legible photocopy of the child’s birth certificate.
  • Legible photocopy of the minor’s card, specifically the pages where the name, minor’s card number and address of residence in Cuba are selected.

What happens during the process?

Initially Opapeleo drafts the power of attorney in English and Spanish, for its effectiveness before both US and Cuban immigration authorities (authentication offices do not accept it in Spanish).

Afterwards the document is sent to you by email together with a FEDEX label for its return to us.

Once received, please follow the steps provided in such e-mail, which will include clear instructions on what to do next.

You must print the power of attorney and the shipping label. Once this step has been completed, please submit the power of attorney to a public notary, who will then execute it so that you can return it to us using the FEDEX label you received.

The photocopies of your Cuban passport, the child’s birth certificate and the child’s card cannot be submitted in different channels as explained in the instructions.

Stages and fees for the power of attorney for minors

Below you will find a link listing the steps or stages of the process and the related fees for each one of them.

  1. The drafting of documents starts from the moment they are drawn up and sent to the client, until they are finally returned to the agency. This part of the process involves a fee of USD 68.
  2. Legalisation at the Cuban Consulate happens when Opapeleo receives the documents and delivers them to the Cuban Consulate in Washington DC for legalisation. The Consulate charges 300 USD (140 USD x 2 documents + 20 USD). Opapeleo cobra 100 USD (50 por documento), para un total de 400 USD.
  3. Opapeleo will send your completed paperwork to you by the shipping method of your choice.

Please note that:

For your use, this document must be delivered to Cuba by you. The Agency does not provide services at this stage.

Waiting times for power of attorney for minors

The processing time will depend on the volume of cases pending at the consulate at the time. The standard time period is 10 days, which can be longer or shorter, depending on the above-mentioned factor.

About Us

Opapeleo is your agency for procedures 100% online or telephone. We are in Washington DC 150 meters away from the Cuban Consulate. We provide services for the Extension and Renewal of Cuban passport, Legalisations, Powers of attorney on all kinds, Authorisations for minors to leave the country, DVT, Visas to Cuba, Top-ups, applications for Cuban certificates, delivery of official documents and all kinds of procedures related to Cuba.

Most read

Save on photos and mail shipments. With Opapeleo, process your request remotely in minutes.

Email Opapeleo tramitación del pasaporte

Receive tips and news related to your Cuban passport.

You might also be interested…

Choose the service

Read each option carefully and select the one that interests you the most.

New Passport

If you never had it before, it’s gray, lost, or aired before 2010.

More info

Passport Renewal

Obtain a new passport presenting a blue or red passport that is about to expire or has already expired.

More info

Certificates issued in Cuba

Any Cuban can request any document or certificate issued in Cuba from any location worldwide

More info


Topup your phone quick and easy. Repeat your topups with a single click.

More info

HE-11 Entry Permit

If you left Cuba before January 1, 1971 you can apply for a HE-11 and enter Cuba with your American passport.

More info


Visa or Tourist Card for foreigners to travel to Cuba.

More info

Birth Certificate


More info

Legal Advice on all aspects of Cuban law

Receive personalised legal advice

More info


Legalization of different documents such as birth certificates, death certificates, etc.

More info

Temporary Travel Document

The temporary travel document is for traveling with a letter in lieu of a passport

More info


What our clients think about the services:
Opapaleo offers a variety of products and services to the Cuban and American communities
Share This
Thank you! Your subscription has been confirmed. You'll hear from us soon.